Maybe somethings don’t get better, but we do. We get stronger. We learn to live with our situations as messy and ugly as they are. We fix what we can and we adapt to what we can’t. Maybe some of us will never be fully okay, but at least we’re here. We’re still trying. We’re doing the best we can. That’s worth celebrating too. If you’re reading this, congratulations, you made it to today. You made it.
If you claim to be a feminist and you shame girls for wanting to do traditional things like take their husband’s last name or be a house wife then you are doing it all completely wrong.
Feminism isn’t an elite group who defeats gender norms, it’s a group who accepts ALL women’s choices.
- Today, I was wearing a floor length skirt. There's this fantastic girl in my 3rd grade class who is Egyptian, and wears a hijab and a long skirt everyday. There are a few other Muslim kids, but most of the girls don't dress like that. She is the only one in her class who wears it every day.
- Girl: I like your skirt!
- Me: Thank you!
- Girl: I'm surprised that you are wearing a long skirt.
- Me: ... Why?
- Girl: Because you are cool. And long skirts are weird. The other kids call me weird for wearing a long skirt every day.
- Me: I don't think long skirts are weird. I think they are cool. And pretty. And fancy.
- Girl: (turns to the class and yells) EVERYBODY! I'M NOT WEIRD, I'M FANCY!